New Tech High



EAS performed a structural analyses on the annex wing of the main building, specifically the 1927 and 1929 additions.  The analyses were performed because New Tech High project specifies some structural alterations and other conversion work as shown on the preliminary plans.  These two additions were constructed with unreinforced masonry (URM) and hollow clay tiles for the walls in conjunction with wood framing for the classroom floors and concrete slab for the corridors.  The roof diaphragm is wood frame construction.  A retrofit upgrade and repair plan was prepared for these two buildings in December 1934 and they were subsequently strengthened.  Although they were constructed separately, the two buildings are linked to each other by means of a seismic joint.  With this in mind, they are treated as individual buildings for the analyses.

Each building had been considerably retrofitted perhaps due to damage caused by the Long Beach earthquake in the early 1930s.  The scope of the retrofit was substantial, requiring a few URM walls to be entirely replaced by cast-in-place concrete walls.  The retrofit plan also specified one layer of brick from the each URM wall be removed and gunited over from top to bottom.  Other significant work included the replacement of the entire parapet with concrete, the addition of pilasters at strategic places along each URM wall, the addition of concrete diaphragm chords, and the enlargement of existing footings.